Monday, August 29, 2016

Digital Tools & Pedagogy

When some of us were sitting in a regional meeting the other day the topic of digital technologies and pedagogy came up. We know that digital technologies are about to be introduced into the NZC and that the Minister of Education sees these technologies as critical for student success https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/nz-curriculum-include-digital-technology
so there will be no escaping as it will be fully integrated into the NZC by 2018.

I mentioned that pedagogy must come before technologies and everyone nodded sagely. Yes we know that pedagogy is our bread & butter and maybe we can stay in the cave for a bit longer. But no! You only have a year.
I also mentioned the SAMR model in passing... no nods... but it is a useful way of scaffolding teachers from where they are at to where they need to get to http://www.elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/Teacher-inquiry/SAMR-model

Reading the latest post from Derek's blog (in the sidebar to your right) I see that that the Minister is now going for COOL
"One part of the proposed Education Amendment that appears to have drawn lots of attention already is the proposal to enable new partnerships between schools and online learning providers, and enable children and young people to access their education through online delivery. It is proposed that online learning providers will come from the schooling, tertiary education, and private sectors, and will be able to seek accreditation as a Community of Online Learning (COOL)."
So if we fail in our accreditation or are one of the unlucky ones to be left out in the cold of a COL (ie not a chosen one) we could get together with the other odd bods and form a COOL. Lucky we have so many choices eh? Imagine if you were in a COL and a COOL.

1 comment:

  1. I read this post with interest and it is good to throw the odd challenge our way. In response I just want to share a digital tool I am beginning to use at staff meetings. It enables people to learn at their pace and either by themselves or more collaboratively in groups using blendspace. I am not yet very proficient but here is a recent effort I have put together for this week. I will let you know how it goes.
    Try this link and see if it works. I think you will meed to paste it in.

    https://www.tes.com/lessons/qXkTT1OF0ZqfNg/edit




    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.